Thursday 1 March 2012

Day Four

I think I am in love with this meat-free eating thing. After only four days I feel really great. My skin is glowing and I have noticably more energy. I had been worried about not feeling full or satisfied between meals but actually I think my overall eating pattern has improved.
Yesterday was a revelation. For breakfast I fancied something with more protein than my usual porridge or musli. Normally that would mean eggs of some kind, but obviously I'm fasting those right now. I chose to try a recipe from the excellent River Cottage Everyday for a banana and oat thicky -that's like a smoothy but with oats to give it heft. The recipe was banana, a tablespoon of oats, an ice cube, and a small glass of milk. I added a shake of wheat germ for extra vitamins and a squeeze of acasia honey. Alongside I had two small slices of a lovely mixed flour and seed bread from an organic shop in Edinburgh. I was so amazed - 3 hours later I still wasn't hungry! For me I think that's a record!
Lunch was also a lesson - who knew that puy lentils were incredible energy food? I made a delicious soup from another River Cottage book, River Cottage Veg Everyday - a puy lentil and spinach soup, though I used kale instead. Going for a swim an hour later I felt so energised. And I repeated the experiment today, taking the leftovers for lunch to the office - another real energy burst.
Tomorrow is going to be a new challenge, it will be the first time I have tried eating out on my new diet. I know from looking at cafe menus in the past that decent veggie options can be difficult to find. The added complication is that I'll be grabbing something quickly on the run between meetings. Here goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment